This is a very interesting comparison widget for Gasoline prices across the world.
I was just watching this video on Comparison of fuel costs for EV’s and ICE Vehicles
And the Stark contrast between US Gas Prices over European ones struck me.
us. 2.91 per gallon
Sweden 6.42 per gallon
Germany 5.85 per gallon
Russia 2.80 per gallon
China 3.96 per gallon
The Affordability ratios are very interesting
1.63 % US and 14.81 % China
% of income spent is also interesting
1.93% US and 0.49% China
Who gets What from a Gallon of Oil.
31% Crude Price 20% Industry Margin 49% Tax.
this excellent paper at the House of Commons online library the other day.
15. Taxation comprises three fundamental economic parts:
l Creation of the medium of taxation and issue into the economy
l Distribution of the medium of taxation through the economy
l Collection of the medium of taxation
17. Modern taxation systems are still based around the creation, distribution and collection of tokens, but the tokens now take electronic rather than physical form. These tokens are bookkeeping entries in the banking system. The structure of the taxation system and the economy it controls is determined by the rules under which these electronic bookkeeping tokens are created, distributed and collected. Coins and notes are still issued in small quantity but are subsidiary to the banking system’s bookkeeping entries.
19. “Contemporary governments grant the exclusive power to issue the medium of taxation to a state-sanctioned banking cartel. The banking cartel comprises a central bank and private member banks. The central bank is responsible for price-fixing, information sharing, promoting member interests and preventing member defaults. Serving the public interest is not a primary goal of a central bank. The cartel holds the exclusive power to set the price of and issue the medium of taxation. Governments generally prohibit the issue of alternative media for exchange and mandate payments of taxes only in the cartel-issued medium.”
52. Development of the tax system has been constrained by political reality and driven by the demands of vested interests in finance and real estate. The fundamental principles of tax policy should explicitly incorporate the money system and the welfare system. The tax system is not fit for purpose and is beyond repair. It should be replaced by an efficient, neutral and distortion-free system based around clearly defined recurrent payments from owners of land, immovable property and natural resources based on contract law. Means-tested welfare should be replaced by a Citizens’ Dividend distributing the financial surpluses of government arising from such reforms.
53. The transition to a new, principled tax system should be on an “opt-in” basis where people can choose to permanently leave the old system when they can benefit from so doing. The effect of such a transition would be an rapid and dramatic revival in economic performance without battling political headwinds.
54. The principles outlined here fully meet all the objectives of the OECD tax report and the Mirrlees Review. They meet Smith’s canons of taxation and adhere to orthodox and common heterodox academic analysis. They are comprehensible and achievable.
It seems to me that The importance of Taxing Carbon is being treated as an elephant in the room.
Fossil Fuels are hugely important and will remain so for at least the next 50 years or so.
The debate is hampered by the political cowardice of our Elite owned political Class who are incapåable of calling a spade a spade, so much easier to talk in the Semi Religious riddles of Global warming.
Regardless of Global Warming and Environmental issues, it is it seems to be important to be honest about what resources there are and how they are applied
That is why I think that the Embedded energy concepts in this paper which I have posted before are so important.